Virtual Pandemonium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MySpace Bans Project Playlist

4 posters

Go down

! MySpace Bans Project Playlist

Post by havoc802 Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:48 pm

MySpace Bans Project Playlist Playlist

In the world of online music, 2008 has been the year of the playlist sharing sites, but sadly it’s also been the year of the playlist sites being shut down. The latest victim is Project Playlist, which was recently banned from MySpace.

Project Playlist is an online mixtape sharing site similar to the recently shut down Mixwit and the long-gone Muxtape, but slightly different in that much of the focus is on sharing playlists through social networks like MySpace and Facebook.

Over the weekend, in response to pressure from the RIAA and major labels, MySpace shut down Project Playlist’s widgets and banned the service from the site.

The Project Playlist website (a social network in its own right) is still alive and kicking, but
since many of the site’s users rely on the embeddable player to share playlists on other social networks, the MySpace ban will no doubt prove painful.

Startingon Friday evening, MySpace began shutting down Project Playlist’s widgets, telling affected users that “your Project Playlist widget has been removed from your profile in response to copyright complaints.”

For its part Facebook has so far refused to comply with the infringement notifications that led MySpace to ban Project Playlist. While that will likely earn the site some points with fans, it probably won’t last long. However, in an interesting twist, Project Playlist recently hired Facebook's former chief operating officer, Owen Van Natta, as its CEO. Whether or not that cozy relationship affected Facebook’s decision is unknown and neither party was willing to comment, citing pending litigation.

Project Playlist is being sued by Warner Music, EMI and Universal Music Group, as well as by the Recording Industry Association of America, but at least one label — Sony BMG — has struck a deal with the site.

Although the terms have not been disclosed, the deal is good news for the some 40 million Project Playlist users who now legally use songs from artists and bands on the Sony label in their playlists.

Source: http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/12/myspace-bans-pr.html

Last edited by havoc802 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
havoc802
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 2541
Xbox GT : havoc802
Registration date : 2007-11-13

http://myspace.com/havoc802

Back to top Go down

! Re: MySpace Bans Project Playlist

Post by MGSfan32 Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:51 pm

Damn that sucks, better go check My myspace then

Also, can you tell me how to get my Playlist widget and Arcade widget on myPortal? BTW I know how to get The widgets and sort But I have no idea how to get stuff in them, also, When I Put a widget in, It doesnt even show up on the Portal? Can You help me out havoc?
MGSfan32
MGSfan32
Whiz (lvl 10)
Whiz (lvl 10)

Male Number of posts : 1344
Mood : MySpace Bans Project Playlist Herz
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Kappietao Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Ha This explains it.
I was on and then I looked at my messages and was like WTFWTHOMFG! Made me mad... ugh i think thats stupid thatr they al the sudden want to sue them?
Kappietao
Kappietao
Nerd (lvl 7)
Nerd (lvl 7)

Female Number of posts : 471
Xbox GT : Getting in your pants again
PSN : OMFG 3.71M33-2 OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!YAY
Mood : MySpace Bans Project Playlist Icon_jokercolor
Registration date : 2008-02-24

http://www.myspace.com/tehlindsay

Back to top Go down